Find out if your family qualifies to purchase a new Habitat OC home.
Habitat OC selects families based on three criteria:
- The first criteria is a demonstrated need for improved housing
- The second criteria is the ability to pay the mortgage, which includes meeting the income guidelines, having good credit and low debt, and meeting the residency requirement
- The third criteria is willingness to partner with Habitat OC
Families must have a significant need for improved housing, such as:
- Living in overcrowded, unhealthy conditions or in a dangerous neighborhood.
- Housing costs are 35% or more of your monthly income.
- Families living in subsidized or temporary housing may also be eligible.
Ability to Pay
Purchasing a Habitat OC home is a big investment. A family's source of income must be steady, verifiable and meet the following qualifications:
Credit report must be in good standing and show that the family:
- Has no tax liens
- Has low/reasonable amount of debt
- Has paid off accounts in collection, charge-offs and/or past dues
- Has been out of bankruptcy at least four years and foreclosure at least seven years
Concerned about your credit? Consider working with Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Orange County, a non-profit service. They can help you learn how to reach financial stability. Call (800) 213-2227
Don't meet some of the criteria? Please refer to other organizations that might be able to help your family.
Willingness to Partner
Time to understand the third criteria, willingness to partner...
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.