Our 2009 Global Village Scholarship
Habitat for Humanity of Orange County established a scholarship in 2001 to honor our late board member Betty Andresen. This scholarship funds one global mission trip each year for a volunteer from Orange County who cares deeply about global missions and cannot otherwise afford to participate in one. Betty was an avid supporter of Habitat's Global Village program, and developed especially strong ties with the Northern Ireland Habitat affiliate.
Betty Andresen Memorial Global Village Scholarship Rules
- The scholarship is open to all Habitat for Humanity of Orange County volunteers age 18 and over.
- Applicants must submit a Global Village Application plus a letter describing their Habitat for Humanity involvement and their interest in global builds.
- Once received, a member of the Global Village Committee will interview the applicant, by phone or in person.
- The Global Village Committee will make its recommendation to the board of directors, which makes the final decision.
- Habitat for Humanity of Orange County will fund the scholarship winner’s trip up to $2500.
- Eligible expenses include plane fare, accommodations, food, and transportation.
- Personal items such as souvenirs and phone calls are not covered by the affiliate.
- Candidates should visit Habitat for Humanity International's Available Global Village Work Trips to determine the total cost of their trip and how much they may have to contribute above the amount covered by the scholarship.
- After the scholarship is awarded, the recipient must submit their application to the Habitat for Humanity International Global Village department and must apply to the team leader(s) for the trip(s) they are interested in.
- The team leader(s) select team members after interviewing via telephone each match in the pool of applicants.
- The scholarship winner is responsible for notifying the affiliate when they have joined a Global Village team and to provide the cost and notice when fees are due.
- Any questions about the scholarship or its rules should be e-mailed to Ursula Bohen.
How to Apply
- Download the Global Village Application. The application materials are in .pdf format and can be downloaded and printed using Adobe's free Acrobat Reader software.
- Send a letter describing your involvement with Habitat for Humanity of Orange County and your interest in global builds, along with a completed Global Village application, to:
Betty Andresen Memorial Global Village Scholarship
Habitat for Humanity of Orange County
2200 S. Ritchey Street
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Scholarship applications must be postmarked by October 13th, 2009
Please contact Ursula and Matt Bohen, Global Village Co-chairs with any questions.
The 2009 winner will choose from any of the Global Village builds that Habitat for Humanity International offers in 2009. Learn about HfHI's Global Village trips.
Past scholarship winners, and the countries they visited